Sunday, June 29, 2014

BOYS OF SUMMER PLAYER OF WEEK: C.J. Saveri of Martins Creek

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


C.J. Saveri had a season to remember in 2013, going 10-0 in the regular season with 88 strikeouts in 69 innings and a 1.62 ERA in the regular season. Then he added five more wins in the postseason when he pitched Martins Creek to the Blue Mountain League title.
As good as he was last year, the lefthander from Bethlehem Catholic and East Stroudsburg University might even be better this season.C.J. Saveri 1
He is 7-1 with 1.01 ERA and 58 strikeouts in 481/3 innings. He has all seven of the Creekers wins.
“We haven’t missed a beat and I’m pitching pretty well; we just need some other things to fall into place,” Saveri said. “I had a good offseason and really kept myself in shape. I definitely got stronger. I can’t say that I don’t have pain, but as a pitcher, you always have pain. You just have to work around it.”
Saveri was feeling no pain in his 10-inning duel with the Limeport Dodgers’ Jordan Smith on Monday night.
The Creekers and Saveri won a 2-1 classic. Saveri finished with a three-hitter and struck out 15.
“As the home plate umpire, that game was a just a pleasure to work,” BML president Bob Varju said.
“That was probably the game of the year,” BML publicity director Tim Fisher said.
Saveri admitted it was probably one of the best games of his career.
“It was a game that was a lot of fun to be a part of,” he said. “Those are the games you love. It’s always special when something like that happens. For us, it was even better to be on the winning side.”
Saveri has more gems like that in him, feeling he’s getting better with age.
“I was always a late bloomer,” he said. “As the years progress, I feel like I get better and better every year and stronger and stronger. You get smarter and pick up things. I just hope it continues.”

No comments: