Monday, June 23, 2014

Behind the Mic: Can I Get a Kick Out of World Cup Soccer?

http://rcntv.rcn.com/2014/06/behind-the-mic-can-i-get-a-kick-out-of-world-cup-soccer/#.U6h4frQ4S-R

FROM GARY LAUBACH


It seems like, all of a sudden, everyone is watching soccer. I have never been a real fan. To me, there is too much insignificant action, not enough scoring, and I just don’t understand all the intricacies of the game. I know it is the world’s most popular sport, but it has never been part of my world. Even in high school, my basketball coach wanted me to play soccer because of the “eye-foot” coordination. He thought, probably correctly, that it would make me a better basketball player. I chose football instead. Obviously, World Cup soccer has become the rage. The US is certainly playing well despite the heartbreaking tie on Sunday, and I feel obligated to give it some attention. After all, the hockey playoffs and the NBA playoffs ended quickly and, except for major league baseball, there is not much going on in the sports world right now. So here is what I will do:
1. Focus on the skill level needed to control the ball, pass the ball, shoot the ball, etc. I know free kicks and corner kicks are important so I will pay special attention to those aspects of the game.
2. Like any sport, soccer has their star players. They seem to be the most involved on the soccer field – everything seems to run through them so I will pay special attention to them and their skills. I am also sure that the announcers will make me aware of an up and coming player on every team. I will try to see what makes them special.
3. I don’t like stalling and there is plenty of it in soccer. Teams in the lead try to keep possession of the ball, walk to throw-ins, feign injury, etc. They will do just about anything to keep the clock running. After all, 1-0 in soccer is not all that unusual. So maybe I have to appreciate the skills involved in just plain stalling with the lead. I don’t find it exciting but understand the strategy.
4. Passing is the most enjoyable part of the game (unless it’s a last-second Portugal cross for a header into the US goal). Sharp passes to open teammates, long kicks into the offensive end, cross passes to set up a shot on goal are all to be appreciated. Momentum, like all other sports, seems to be particularly important in soccer.
5. Feel the emotion! Players inevitably will physically challenge one another for a 50/50 ball, throw an elbow here or there, push another player in the back, and force the official to reach for a yellow or red card for a major violation. This I know I can get into.
6. Yell when someone scores. If you really don’t care who wins, cheer for any goal by any team! Goals don’t come very often, so cheer when you have the opportunity.
I will let you know how this strategy works for me. USA! USA! USA!
ABOVE THE EARS (SOME MUSINGS)
1. I’m sure by now you heard about the “rookie dinner” paid for by Eagles’ offensive lineman Lane Johnson with some help from fellow linemen Todd Herremans and Evan Mathis. He took 16 fellow linemen out for dinner and ran up a bill of $17,747.86 or $1044.00 per man. How do you get such a high bill, you might ask? 14 – 1 ounce shots of Louis XIII de Remy Martin for $3,150. 5- 2 ounce glasses of the same – $1,375. A bottle of cabernet – $3,495. A side of creamed corn was $10. Five 32-ounce steaks were ordered at $90 each. What are you having for dinner tonight? I’ll enjoy my meatloaf.
2. As a kid, I remember people always thinking that big-time professional sports were “fixed” to go the limit in a “best of” series like MLB baseball, NBA basketball and NHL hockey. I never would go along with their reasoning that it was all about the extra money. When the NHL Kings and the NBA Spurs won in five games this year, I smiled. It is nice to feel right once in awhile.
3. Speaking of the Men’s US Open – for the first time in history, the women played the same course as the men, Pinehurst #2, the following week for their US Women’s Open Championship. The previous week, the women practiced with the men to prepare for their tournament. The women played very well and women’s golf got a big boost with Michelle Wie winning. After all, she was labeled the “Tiger Woods” of women’s golf years ago. Now, can she maintain her momentum?
4. This past week a federal trademark board ruled that the Washington Redskins nickname is “disparaging of Native Americans” and that the team’s trademark protections should be canceled. It would mean the Redskins would not have financial protection for the use of the trademark. The appeal process, however, could take years. For now, they will remain the Washington Redskins.
5. The World Cup has been a ratings boon for ESPN. For the opening US-Ghana match, ESPN had 11,093,000 viewers. It was the highest-rated and most-viewed men’s soccer match ever on ESPN. This was their highest rating since the BCS National Football Championship had 25,572,000 on January 6.

No comments: