Monday, May 27, 2013

Northampton graduate is the new Palmerton boys basketball coach

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


Leigh Keenan was approved as Palmerton's boys basketball coach back on May 7, but it was hard to get to talk to the 25-year-old Northampton High graduate because he has been on a family trip to Ireland for the past few weeks.
Maybe Keenan brought back some good luck charms from the Irish. He may need them at Palmerton.
Now settled back home at home, Keenan talked about his new job on Monday and is excited about the opportunity to lead the Blue Bombers, who have struggled in recent years.
"I've always wanted to coach and when this opportunity to coach a varsity program came along, I jumped at it," Keenan said. "I think the kids in this program need motivation; they needed a change. I am still playing basketball in adult leagues and I am involved with the Raritan (NJ) Roundballers AAU program and I think that's a plus for me. I'm still engaged in the game.
"I have younger brothers and sisters who are still playing basketball and I've been involved with them. It's something you grow to love -- coaching basketball.:
The 6-foot-6 Keenan, who played for Ed Ohlson at Northampton, first attended East Stroudsburg University and then transferred to Kean University where he played for several years.
"I can relate to the players; that's one of my biggest pluses," he said. "I think these kids need a players' coach. They need a coach that can show them what to do. I think what separated me from the other applicants is that I am still playing, still involved. I'm not 20 years removed from playing the game like some of the other applicants might have been."
Keenan hopes to coach at Palmerton for a long time and provide stability to a program that definintely needs it.
The Blue Bombers have had a revolving door with their coaching situation and there has been much more controversy than success when it comes to the program.
The progam has had four coaching changes in five years and has gone 4-40 over the past two seasons.
Last year, Mick Stefanek started the season, but resigned in December and Frank McCarroll finished out the season.
"I want to have success for the kids in this program; I don't want it for myself," Keenan said. "I don't feel as though I have anything to prove, but they do. They've had a lot of coaching changes and they need stability. Being a young guy, I want to establish my own program here. They were receptive to that when I said that in my interview."
In terms of style, Keenan said he wants to play uptempo, fast-paced, high-energy basketball.
"We need to be a defensive team first and foremost and we'll play a variety of defenses," he said. "Offensively, you need to have good spacing and get the kids in the right position at the right time. I want these kids to know their roles and play with confidence."
Keenan said he won't "over coach" his teams.
"I want to do things that will translate directly to the game," he said. "We won't do a three-man weave in practice because we'll never do a three-man weave in a game.
"I want these guys to be good for themselves; I want them to develop on their own," Keenan said. "I don't want to be the type of coach who calls out every play myself. I want the kids to be call plays out on their own or see the defense without me telling them. I want them to be able to think for themselves and gain confidence and develop a little swagger."
While he is trying to get into tournaments, he said the emphasis this summer will be on teaching fundamentals.
"We want to work on our skills this summer," he said. "Playing games is great, but the skill-work is so important and once we get that done then we can play in tournaments. I want to run some workout programs that really emphasize skill-work."
Keenan said he's still in the process of building his staff and is hopeful of getting one or two people who will be in the school to stay on top of the kids.
Keenan is the manager of the Primo Hoagies restaurant on Cedar Crest Boulevard in South Whitehall Township.
And the Keenans will be spread all over the place when it comes to their family next season.
Keenan's brother Antwon will be a sophomore at Becahi next year, while another brother, Ryan, will be an eighth grader at Northampton and his sister Victoria will be in seventh grade, also in Northampton.

No comments: