Friday, December 30, 2011

6ABC’s Cathy Gandolfo Announces Retirement

FROM LAURA NACHMAN

FROM 6 ABC:

After more than 36 years of covering news from South Philadelphia to South Jersey and around the globe, Cathy Gandolfo is retiring.

Cathy began as a news writer and part time reporter at Action News back in 1975.

A proud graduate of Goretti High School for Girls in South Philadelphia and Temple University in North Philadelphia, Cathy wasted no time becoming a familiar face on millions of TV screens around the region.

She weathered many a nor'easter at the Jersey Shore and dozens of snowstorms including the crippling Blizzard of '96.

She reported on many of New Jersey's biggest criminal cases.

Cathy covered several political conventions for both Democrats and Republicans.

She was there in 1985 as President Ronald Reagan made his historic trip to what was then West Germany and she toured a concentration camp with Frank Lautenberg.

Cathy made many trips to the Vatican to cover the life and death of Pope John Paul II and the making of cardinals and saints.

But Cathy had lots of fun along the way and delivered more than a few lighthearted moments to viewers across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.

Cathy has won many awards for her work. In 2008, she was inducted into the prestigious Philadelphia Broadcast Pioneers Hall of Fame.

Cathy has certainly left her mark on TV news.

She has earned her retirement and we wish her well.

In her own words: Cathy's message to the viewers

As we all prepare to usher in the New Year, I will also be ushering in the next chapter of my life - retirement after 36 years with Channel 6 Action News. As many of you probably know, I was born and raised in South Philadelphia, went to St. Maria Goretti High School and Temple University, so spending my entire career in my hometown has been a rewarding experience for me on so many levels.

I've been privileged to cover some incredible events and, more often, just ordinary stories of importance to our viewers.

I have always tried to be objective, fair, and accurate and I hope that I've served you well.

I've been honored to work at the best television station in America with the finest group of professionals anywhere; people who are not only my colleagues and coworkers, but my friends.

So I thank you for watching Action News and for watching me all of these years.

I wish you a very happy 2012.

Now for one, final time: I'm Cathy Gandolfo, Channel 6 Action News.

http://lauranachman.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish you well and will miss you on TV