Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mario Donnangelo would have been 72 today

FROM KEITH GROLLER

My mother, Nancy (Michael) Groller, turned 69 today. As a family, we called and wished her a "Happy birthday," as a highlight on an otherwise cloudy, dreary day at the shore.

It just figures that in this hot, sunny summer of 2010, I would get the one week for a vacation where clouds, rain and cool temperatures dominated. I hear the sun and hot temps will return next week, as if to mock me.

No hurricanes to dodge, but my track record of poor weather on my shore trips remains intact. Been here since Saturday and been on the beach just once. Hoping for a better Thursday and Friday.

Anyway, Aug. 25 turns out to be the birthday of another special person, the late, great Mario Donnagelo.



A member of the Donnangelo family sent me an e-mail this morning to tell me it would have been our dear friend's 72nd birthday today.

The family member said that she hoped Mario would never be forgotten.

I don't think that's a worry. Not at all.

In the world of local sports, Mario Donnagelo will NEVER be forgotten.

Few people touched more lives across the board than Mario as an educator, official, friend, good guy. Throughout this summer in my travels, I have heard many people tell me how much they miss Mario, how they can't believe he is gone.

I, too, can't believe it, even four months after his passing. He's one of those special people who should have lived forever.

And he will ... in our hearts and minds.

Happy birthday, Mario! We miss you, and we'll never forget you.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: