Thursday, June 24, 2010

Looking for fun? Catch a District 20 Little League game

If you're looking for fun and free family entertainment over the next several weeks, why not catch a Little League game?

The District 20 Little League tournament for both baseball and softball opens today and continues through the middle of July.

That may not sound exciting, but trust me it is.

I first became acquainted with District 20 years ago when my brother played at Mountainville. I didn't appreciate it at the time since watching him play wasn't nearly as fun as playing on the playground equipment.

In the summer of 2003, I was reintroduced to Little League after I was assigned to cover Lehigh Little League's 9-10 softball team in the state playoffs and I've been hooked ever since.

Every summer since then (with the exception of last year when my son was born) has been highlighted by covering District 20 tournament games. I hope to cover a few games this summer.

The guys in the office must think I'm crazy, but I truly do love covering these games.

The games are fun to watch. The players enjoy competing and it shows.

The tournament is run like a well-oiled machine thanks to District Administrator Randy Raab and his crew. The staff makes sure games run smoothly, but, more importantly, they make sure the atmosphere is always positive.

Take your family out to the ballpark and catch a game. You won't be disappointed.

From The Express Times

No comments: