Thursday, April 29, 2010

Palmerton isn't paradise, but it's not bad

FROM KEITH GROLLER

What a week for me. A Sunday night in Emerald for the Northern Lehigh boys basketball banquet and a Wednesday trip to Palmerton for softball.

It had been so cold early this week, that I wondered if I'd see snow flurries in Palmerton. At the very least, I expected an icy reception.

Let's just say that I have generally been as popular in both of those communities as President Obama is on Fox News or any Republican is on MSNBC. Or for better perspective, I have been as welcome in those school districts as any Cowboys fan would be at the Linc for a big Eagles-Dallas game.

Those schools don't think they get enough coverage and they blame me. It's that simple.

But you know what, I enjoyed my time with the Northern Lehigh basketball fans on Sunday night and found them to be pretty good folks who care about their kids, and care about their community.

And, I actually enjoyed Palmerton on Wednesday, once I got there. I took the turnpike to the Mahoning Valley interchange, and from there, I thought I would try a shortcut back down to Palmerton. It didn't work, although I got to see what Bowmanstown is all about. If I had more time I would have stopped in at the Bowmanstown Diner.

Once at the game, I really liked the place. I have been at Palmerton for a basketball game (ironically, also against Palisades) but it had been about 15 years since I have been at a home Palmerton softball game.

That's because for much of those 15 years, the Bombers haven't been that competitive. Becky Stroup was the pitcher and I think Nicole Levandusky was the catcher the last time I saw a game up there in the mid-to-late1990s.

However, the Blue Bombers -- 2-78 over the last four years -- have already won six games this season. Barring a sudden downturn, they're going to win at least 10 games this year and return to districts for the first time since 2002.

And with most of the kids returning, they're going to win even more next year, and in 2012.

But beyond that, I just liked the place.

I like that 7th Street complex with the refreshment stand and that fieldhouse behind home plate.

I like that not only do they sell hot dogs at the stand;, they also sell homemade baked goods.

I like that they have ample bleachers and like the mountainside view.

I don't think I'd like to be driving on nearby Delaware Avenue and have a foul ball rattle off my car (although someone told me that it's never happened).

But other than that, I just thought the place was pretty neat.

And as I drove out of town and found my way back to Rotue 248, I said to myself -- this is a nice place with well-kept homes and neighborhoods and just about everything you need -- post office, hospital, park, banks, chruches, grocery store etc. -- all close by. Hey, and my buddy Ed Hedes lives there, too, just beyond the center-field fence at the 7th Street field. What more could you want?

Maybe the fact that it was about 6:45 and the sun was shining bright made the place shine a little more than usual. But I've always wondered what it would be like to live in a small, tight-knit town. I am sure there are a lot of pluses to it. I've heard some people tell me Palmerton isn't what it used to be, but what town is? I'm sure time hasn't stood still there and there are issues there like there are everywhere else.

But I just got a good feel from the place.

My wife has considerable family that lives in the Lehighton-Palmerton area and I even called her to tell her I impressed I was.

As I packed up, Palmerton coach Glenn Reimer said, "Hey, you're welcome back here any time."

As long as his team keeps playing good softball, and they have those hot dogs and cupcakes at the refreshment stand, he won't have to twist my arm to get me up there.

FROM KEITH GROLLER

No comments: